Collision Event?

hometime

Collision Event?

Post by hometime »

I know it must be something really simple but how do I get a collision event that triggers a sound?
I can set it up in the emitter and choose an effector but the sound is going off at the start of the animation while the intersecting of the emitter and the effector object is at frame 15. AND is the intersecting of the objects an event or do I need a deflector or something?
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Can you post your MAX file for me to look at?

-Matt
hometime

Post by hometime »

Right now Max is crashing on launch, which is weird, out of the blue. Could be something corrupt in the registry. I just downloaded a 64 bit registry fixer program and it's running. I hope this fixes it.
Basically all I was doing to try to get the collision to work is create a sphere and have it bounce off a cube using Max dynamics. The sphere has an emitter attached to it and the cube has an acoustic material applied.
hometime

Post by hometime »

Matt, the new (2.3.1 version) file put the acoustic material back in the material line up, so that's fixed.
As for the collision not working for me, would look at this set up and see what I could be doing wrong?
I'm sure it's me that hasn't gotten the grasp of it.

http://www.hometime.net/FSM/foley_setup.ace

Thanks,
Don
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Don,

Glad to see that Acoustic Materials are working. Can you please repost the archive as a .zip? We don't have an archiver that supports .ace extension.

Thanks,

Matt
hometime

Post by hometime »

Sorry about that, here's the ZIpped version:

http://www.hometime.net/FSM/collision_setup.zip

Thanks,
Don
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Don,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Your file had 2 problems:

1) Your collision event used the Emitter's Origin instead of its radius. Change the trigger setting to use "Emitter's Radius"

2) The Emitter comes very close but not quite to the collision mesh. Increase the Emitter Radius a bit (to, say, 12).

Now you should be all set.

Thanks,
Mathew Kaustinen
Boomer Labs
hometime

Post by hometime »

Thanks, Matt, I'll check it out.
What is the general use for the various settings such as emitter's origin or radius?
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Hey Don,

The collision event needs to know what to use to indicate that a collision occured. For example:

Origin: When the origin (center) of the emitter collides (crosses over) with the Effector

Radius: When the radius (total volume or extents) of the emitter collides with the Effector

Anything else you would like clarification on?

Thanks,

Matt
hometime

Post by hometime »

Thanks, Matt, just noticed your response.
Any further details on 64 bit?

Don
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Hi Don,

Foley Studio uses some 3rd party libraries which don't support x64. This means that the port is more difficult than usual. It will probably be a few months yet - sorry.
hometime

Post by hometime »

Understandable, thanks Matt!
:)