Vexus research before we commit!

Vexus related Support Questions
Monkey

Vexus research before we commit!

Post by Monkey »

Hi guys, just a few questions before we commit to using Vexus on a large configurator project.

1. Deadline support - I presume the submitter from Vexus has options for how to submit shots setup into Deadline? Does Vexus submit directly into the repo?
2. I couldnt see in the change log if Vray 6 is supported fully? I saw 3ds max 2024 had been added (we'll be using 2023 for a while still).
3. How active is the development of Vexus - I guess once its a fully functioning system, its more of a keeping it working with new software updates? But is there a roadmap for any future planned improvements/features?
4. Regards the data generated by Vexus - is it storted in the max file, or externally? Can a machine without an active lic open the scene and submit jobs / how locked down is the user in this situation? If data is not held in the max file, then if a new workstation opens the file, how do you get the Vexus setup loaded?
4b. Will we need a lic activated on all machines that need to setup Vexus, or is there any floating options?
5. I presumed there is no cost for a render node lic? How best to install vexus for a render farm, if anything if needed?

Thanks,
Monkey!
hide2

Re: Vexus research before we commit!

Post by hide2 »

vexus is a great tool in its original form, but its development is not active.
Boomer is asking for upgrade fees for a tool that is just recompiled to the latest version of max without adding new features.
It doesn't even support the latest renderer, so if you need it, you have to create your own custom nodes to support it.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Hi. Ok thats a real shame to hear - good its a great tool already, just not very active on support if issues arise. I've got the demo running to test what it can do, just watching anything videos I can find to work out how to use it!!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Amusingly, the demo max plugin is version 4.2, but the actual program is still 4.1 and they are not connecting with the version mismatch.
boomer
Site Admin

Post by boomer »

Folks,

In response to the questions:
1) When submitting to deadline (or backburner for that matter), a pre-submission script is launched from within 3ds MAX. From there the user can specify submission preferences.
2) It is almost impossible to keep up with all of the AOs across all renderers. However, often the updated/added settings are rarely used. Generally, we update these nodes when contacted by customers when in response to specific update requests.
3) We have many development projects going in parallel. We do not have a specific roadmap but rather add new features/capabilities at the request of our users.
4) The Vexus Editor sends commands to 3ds MAX based on the Vexus Graph. The graph is saved independently (as .vx files). The graph is not saved in the MAX file
4b) The licenses are node locked.
5) Correct, render nodes are at no cost. You can either copy the Vexus.dlu file into the plugins folder, or reach out to us for our render node installer that does this for you.

Regarding the version conflict. In 4.2, the changes only occurred in the Vexus plugin and library nodes with no updates to the editor. As such, there is a version mismatch. We have updated the plugin to check for this case and not throw an error.

Thanks,
Mathew Kaustinen
Boomer Labs
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Many thanks Matthew.