Token for max file version?

Vexus related Support Questions

Token for max file version?

Postby KenTanker0us » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello friends, new user of vexus here. Loving it so far. (Version 2.2.0B)

I'm investigating ways of setting up render paths for various directory structures. Is there a way to set up a token for the file version?

So maxfile_v002.max could somehow be filtered for string and end up with a $$VERS token? I'm not quite sure how I would do it.

Thanks for any and all advice.
"And remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day"
KenTanker0us

Re: Token for max file version?

Postby jokermartini » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Just our of curiosity what do you want to use this version number for once you get it?
jokermartini

Postby KenTanker0us » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Hey Joker, I dig your work. My compliments.

I like to use the version number in my render directories. It helps me keep track of which Max file made the renders. I do something like:

//jobs/client/job/renderoutput/3D/Max/shot/version/pass/filename_version_pass.exr

So I'm looking at tokens like this:

$$JOBSDIR/$$CLIENT/$$JOB/$$RENPATH/$$SHOT/$$VERS/$$PASS/$$MAXFILENAME_$$PASS.exr

Mind you, I'm a noob. But it would be pretty kool if I could do some kind of filter string and grab that version. I'm just not sure how I would code it inside of vexus.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

Ken
KenTanker0us

Postby boomer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Ken,

Good news, in the next release we added 2 helpful capabilities:
1) Token: FILEVERSION
2) In MAX, there is also a property called fileversion. To use it, call: vexus.fileversion

The file version is based off the last numbers in the MAX filename, including any intermediate underscores (ie. "_"), with "000" as default if none are present. For example:

SampleFile_001 -> 001
SampleFile_v001 -> 001
SampleFile_v001_01 -> 001_01
SampleFile001 -> 001
SampleFile -> 000

Make sense?

Thanks,
Mathew Kaustinen
Boomer Labs
boomer
Site Admin

Postby KenTanker0us » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Matt.

First of all, I'll look forward to the next release!

The FILEVERSION Token sounds good, but I'm not totally clear here, sorry. Just for my own knowledge, I would like to ask:
Are you saying that, with the next release, I could just replace my (proposed)$$VERS token with the new one, so my path would look like this?

$$JOBSDIR/$$CLIENT/$$JOB/$$RENPATH/$$SHOT/$$FILEVERSION/$$PASS/$$MAXFILENAME_$$PASS.exr

I'm also wondering:
Could I use a maxscript token and put a filterstring in it to grab the version and then use that? If so, where would it get plugged in? Before the Output Settings Override? After?

And also, I'm wondering about the placement of double-slash in the example graph you included:
$$ROOT/$$SHOT//$$PASS/$$PASS..exr
How does the double-slash end up in the middle of the path?

Probably these are dumb questions. I'll get better with experience. Thanks very much for your time.

best

Ken
KenTanker0us

Postby boomer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 am

Ken,

To answer your questions:
1) Yes, use $$FILEVERSION the same way as $$VERS in your original example
2) Yes, you could use MaxScript Token. You want to ensure it is evaluated before anything else, so one option is the shot set up pin. (1st pin on the Shot Node). We originally thought about implementing this as a MaxScript token, but wanted additional functionality that would have been difficult to script.
3) The double slash should probably not be there actually. I would stick with single.

Thanks,
Mathew Kaustinen
Boomer Labs
boomer
Site Admin

Postby KenTanker0us » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks, Matt, I'm finally up and running with Deadline 10 so I can get back to this study. (Had some issues but Thinkbox support helped me.)

Now that I have Deadline 10 running I'm looking to have a complete pipeline of Max-Vexus-Deadline-AWS cloud render. Should be awesome.

So are you saying I can use $$MAXFILEVERSION now, or am I waiting for the next release?

Also, I'm wondering: is there a way to evaluate my path to check it other than actually rendering? It would be sweet to be able to set up a bunch of tokens and check the resulting path in the Listener, or some equivalent. Just a thought. I've got my ducks in a row now, so I'm on this token thing.

Thanks very much for your time and advice! Vexus is really kool, I'm recommending it to my colleagues.

best,

Ken
KenTanker0us

Postby boomer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Ken,

Unfortunately, you will have to wait until Vexus 3.0 for the fileversion implementation. You could roll your own using a MaxScript Token Node, we're pretty slammed getting V.30 wrapped up otherwise we'd write it for you.

Yes, you could see how the value would evaluate by adding a MaxScript Snippet Node and adding something like this in the "code" section:
print "$$JOBSDIR/$$CLIENT/$$JOB/$$RENPATH/$$SHOT/$$FILEVERSION/$$PASS/$$MAXFILENAME_$$PASS.exr"

In the max listener, you would see the evaluated value.

Thanks,
Mathew Kaustinen
Boomer Labs
boomer
Site Admin

Postby KenTanker0us » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks, Matt, I don't mind waiting. I should be able to hack together a a filter string in that MaxScript Token..I hope! It's worth a try while I'm waiting for version 3.

Thanks also for the tip with the MaxScript Snippet! That's awesome.

Dare I ask when 3.0 is coming.....? :D Like you don't have enough to do.
KenTanker0us

Postby boomer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

I hear Valentine's Day will be extra special this year.....
boomer
Site Admin

Postby KenTanker0us » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Awesome!
KenTanker0us

Return to Vexus